Skip to content
Close Menu
ConvictionConviction
  • Home
  • Law & Justice
  • Special Reports
  • Opinion
  • Ask The Expert
  • Get In Touch

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Gertrude Shope’s enduring legacy continues to shape women’s leadership in South Africa

August 20, 2026

South Africa’s violence protection system is failing women despite progressive laws

August 20, 2026

City of Cape Town fails to prove fleet coordinator tampered with electricity meter for R1,800

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Gertrude Shope’s enduring legacy continues to shape women’s leadership in South Africa
  • South Africa’s violence protection system is failing women despite progressive laws
  • City of Cape Town fails to prove fleet coordinator tampered with electricity meter for R1,800
  • Late partner’s parents battle surviving partner for household goods inheritance
  • Metro Police cleared of blame for Hanover Park spaza shop fire that destroyed family’s home
  • Eastern Cape schools win landmark battle against years of unlawful funding cuts
  • Legal battle erupts over disputed agreement allowing mining at Vlakfontein
  • When a R1 311 monthly levy becomes a R975 138.72 debt nobody can explain
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
ConvictionConviction
Sonneblom
  • Home
  • Law & Justice
  • Special Reports
  • Opinion
  • Ask The Expert
  • Get In Touch
ConvictionConviction
Home » Five children claim mother wanted them to inherit family home, but will leaves it to father
Family Law

Five children claim mother wanted them to inherit family home, but will leaves it to father

A Robertson family home became the centre of a bitter inheritance dispute when five children argued that their late mother wanted them to inherit her share of the property.
Kennedy MudzuliBy Kennedy MudzuliAugust 18, 2026Updated:August 18, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
  • The five children challenged the handling of their late mother Magdalene Jansen’s estate and the transfer of her share of the family home to their father.
  • They said a different will had been read to them and asked the court to replace the will that had been accepted by the Master.
  • Judge Njokweni dismissed the application, finding that the children had not made their case in their founding affidavit and that key factual disputes could not be settled in motion proceedings.

The five children who grew up in the Robertson family home did not succeed in proving that their late mother wanted them to inherit her 50 percent share of the property.

The dispute concerned the estate of Magdalene Jansen, who died on 2 October 2014. She had been married in community of property to Nicholas Johannes Jansen, the father of Carla Jansen, Collin Ian Jansen, Wifred Andre Jansen, Martha Jansen, and Gloria Juleen Jansen.

The children took the case to the High Court in Cape Town, challenging how their mother’s estate was handled and the transfer and later sale of the family home. Nicholas sold the property to Rhoderick Meyer and Zukiswa Constance Meyer, who became the new owners and later started eviction proceedings against the children.

The children relied on what they said were their mother’s wishes

The children said that during a meeting in 2016 with their family attorney, Loftus Cilliers, he read their parents’ joint will and told them that Magdalene’s 50 percent share in the property would go to them.

They said the family believed the property would eventually be transferred to them and that nothing would happen to it in the meantime without everyone’s agreement. However, the will before the court was dated 19 July 1995. Clause 7 said the surviving spouse would inherit everything if one died first.

The children would only inherit if both parents died at the same time or within 28 days of each other, and if the survivor had not made another will. Nicholas argued that this was the valid will, so he inherited Magdalene’s share of the property.

No later will was ever produced

The children claimed that documents suggested a will dated 19 July 1996 had been given to the Master and accepted in 2016. They believed the 1995 will had been changed and accused their father of destroying or hiding the document they said had been read to them.

But no later will was ever produced. Judge Njokweni noted that every will submitted to the court was dated 19 July 1995. Cilliers also said he did not know of another will.

He explained that he mistakenly thought both Magdalene and Nicholas had died when he met with the family in January 2016, and his later correspondence reflected that misunderstanding. Cilliers insisted that the only will his firm ever had was the joint will from 19 July 1995.

Earlier eviction proceedings weakened their case

The court also looked at an affidavit that Collin had filed in the eviction proceedings started by the Meyers. She said Magdalene permitted the children to live in the property for the rest of their lives, and after her death, they reached an agreement with Nicholas that the property would be transferred to them.

Importantly, Collin included the 19 July 1995 joint will with that affidavit. Judge Njokweni found that the earlier court case showed the children already knew about the different versions of the will, the property, and their alleged rights before starting this application.

The court said the case could not be fixed in reply

The children’s founding affidavit only generally mentioned a 2016 meeting where the will was supposedly read. Their reply later gave more details, including a specific date and that Dino Bailey was allegedly there.

Judge Njokweni found that the children could not use their reply to fix problems in their original case. The judge said that every application has to be made with proper notice and an affidavit that sets out all the facts the applicants rely on for relief.

The judge found that the children had not properly shown the existence, contents, or legal effect of the alleged later will in their founding papers.

Key disputes stood in the way

There were different stories about the 2016 meetings, whether another will existed, what happened to Magdalene’s share, and the later transfer and sale of the property.

Judge Njokweni found that these were important factual disputes that could not be settled just by accepting the children’s version over the respondents’. The judge said, “This application is filled with major factual disputes.”

The court applied the Plascon-Evans approach and found that the respondents’ version was not so unlikely or unreasonable that it could be ignored in deciding the case.

Court rejects attempt to change the will

The children wanted the court to add extra words to the will accepted by the Master. They also asked for the alleged later will to be produced and for a declaration that the sale agreement for the property was invalid. Their arguments also relied on the development of the common law about wills and succession.

Judge Njokweni found that the children had not provided the necessary facts for that argument in their founding affidavit. The judge said, “You cannot ask for further or alternative relief to get an order that is very different from what you asked for in your notice of motion.”

The court found that the children were basically asking it to add provisions to a valid will based on disputed facts. The court said it could not grant that relief.

Application dismissed

Judge Njokweni also considered Nicholas’s claim that the application was meant to delay the eviction case brought by the Meyers. In the end, the court found that the children had not proved that the estate administration or the sale of the property was unlawful.

Judge Njokweni said, “The applicants have not shown that the property was under their control, and they have not proved that the estate administration or the sale to the Meyers was unlawful based on the documents before the court.”

The application was dismissed. The five children were ordered together to pay the first and second respondents’ party-and-party costs on Scale B, including the costs of counsel if counsel was used.

Conviction.co.za

Get your news on the go. Click here to follow the Conviction WhatsApp channel.

disputed will family property inheritance dispute succession law Wills and estates
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Kennedy Mudzuli

Multiple award-winner with passion for news and training young journalists. Founder and editor of Conviction.co.za

Related Posts

Late partner’s parents battle surviving partner for household goods inheritance

August 20, 2026

Mother fails to pay children’s expenses; breaches agreed parenting plan

August 18, 2026

Wife accuses husband of 50 acts of sexual misconduct, including request for another man

August 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Prove your humanity: 6   +   9   =  

Subscribe to our newsletter:
Top Posts

Making sectional title rules that work: A practical guide

January 17, 2025

Protection order among the consequences of trespassing in an ‘Exclusive Use Area’

December 31, 2024

Between a rock and a foul-smelling place

November 27, 2024

Irregular levy increases, mismanagement, and legal threats in a sectional title scheme

June 2, 2025
Don't Miss
Opinion
4 Mins Read

Gertrude Shope’s enduring legacy continues to shape women’s leadership in South Africa

By Dr Lefatshe MoagiAugust 20, 20264 Mins Read

Dr Lefatshe Moagi examines how Gertrude Shope’s legacy continues to inspire women’s leadership, peacebuilding, and the pursuit of gender equality in South Africa.

South Africa’s violence protection system is failing women despite progressive laws

August 20, 2026

City of Cape Town fails to prove fleet coordinator tampered with electricity meter for R1,800

August 20, 2026

Late partner’s parents battle surviving partner for household goods inheritance

August 20, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
Demo
About Us
About Us

Helping South Africans to navigate the legal landscape; providing accessible legal information; and giving a voice to those seeking justice.

Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube WhatsApp Twitch RSS
Latest posts

Making sectional title rules that work: A practical guide

January 17, 2025

Protection order among the consequences of trespassing in an ‘Exclusive Use Area’

December 31, 2024

Between a rock and a foul-smelling place

November 27, 2024
OUR PICKS

Eskom ordered to tackle Kusile pollution with urgent 30-day environmental action plan

August 17, 2026

Pretoria court registrar who issued fraudulent court orders struck off legal roll

August 17, 2026

Bliss Brands must withdraw Securex packaging nationwide within 15 working days

August 15, 2026
© 2026 Conviction.
  • Home
  • Law & Justice
  • Special Reports
  • Opinion
  • Ask The Expert
  • Get In Touch

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by