Skip to content
Close Menu
ConvictionConviction
  • Home
  • Law & Justice
  • Special Reports
  • Opinion
  • Ask The Expert
  • Get In Touch

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

How body corporate meetings are chaired and regulated in sectional title schemes

August 21, 2026

Displaced Grade 12 learners face exam uncertainty amid ongoing xenophobic unrest

August 21, 2026

Company loses R3.5 million claim after its own witness destroys the case

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • How body corporate meetings are chaired and regulated in sectional title schemes
  • Displaced Grade 12 learners face exam uncertainty amid ongoing xenophobic unrest
  • Company loses R3.5 million claim after its own witness destroys the case
  • High Court tells mother of twin sisters to ask judge to enforce school registration order
  • Former Tshwane councillor unlawfully authorised roadside businesses in Mamelodi
  • Rhodes University SRC candidate fails to overturn expulsion following LGBTQIA+ posts
  • The truth about estate gate licence scans that everyone is getting wrong
  • Gertrude Shope’s enduring legacy continues to shape women’s leadership in South Africa
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
ConvictionConviction
Sonneblom
  • Home
  • Law & Justice
  • Special Reports
  • Opinion
  • Ask The Expert
  • Get In Touch
ConvictionConviction
Home » Residents accused of demanding R200 000 to allow access to road construction sand
Civil Law

Residents accused of demanding R200 000 to allow access to road construction sand

A road construction project became the centre of a R200 000 dispute when Moses Kotane Local Municipality accused seven residents of blocking access to sand needed for the work.
Kennedy MudzuliBy Kennedy MudzuliAugust 19, 2026No Comments
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Residents accused of demanding R200 000 for access to road construction sand have defeated Moses Kotane Local Municipality’s urgent interdict application.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

  • The municipality alleged residents stopped trucks and an excavator from reaching a sand extraction site and demanded R200 000 for access.
  • The residents said extraction had been halted pending discussions with traditional structures and denied demanding money.
  • Judge Reddy dismissed the municipality’s application because it failed to establish what each respondent had allegedly done.

Moses Kotane Local Municipality went to the High Court in Mahikeng seeking an urgent interdict against seven residents and an unidentified group it accused of disrupting its construction activities.

At the centre of the dispute was sand being extracted from a portion of the farm Rhenosterspruit at Mabele-a-Pudi for road rehabilitation at Mogwase Unit 8.

The municipality had appointed a contractor for the road project after receiving provincial infrastructure grants. According to municipal manager Mokopane Valtein Letsoalo, the contractor took possession of the site in December 2025.

The municipality said an earlier disruption involving two people who were not parties to the application had already resulted in an interdict on 22 May 2026. It alleged that a new group then targeted the sand extraction operation. 

The group was said to be led by Tau Ephraim Nakedi, Bakang Tshenye, Kgomotso Tshenye, Shime Tshenye, Berlina Maropeng, Bashimane Maropeng and Dorah Ntwape, together with unidentified people associated with them.

According to the municipality, the confrontation came to a head on 18 June 2026 when the group prevented contractor trucks and an excavator from accessing the sand, blocked and offloaded sand that had already been loaded, and demanded R200 000 for access to the site.

The municipality asked Judge J Reddy to stop the respondents from restricting access to its sites, interfering with trucks and heavy equipment, disrupting housing, electricity, road, water and sanitation projects, and threatening or intimidating municipal employees and contractors.

Residents said the municipality was ignoring an agreement

Nakedi gave the court a markedly different version. He said the municipality had initiated engagement with the Bakgatla Ba Kgafela Traditional Council, the Royal Family and the Communal Property Association about the sand extraction.

According to Nakedi, a meeting on 4 May 2026 resulted in a resolution that extraction should stop pending a memorandum of understanding. When he discovered that extraction had continued, Nakedi said he approached the excavator operators to inform them of the position reached at the meeting. He denied confronting anyone or demanding money.

The municipality disputed his version, saying there was no binding mediation process and that its officials had confirmed they had not attended the meetings described by Nakedi.

The residents raised five preliminary objections to the municipality’s application, including that the dispute was still subject to mediation, that the founding affidavit had not been properly commissioned, that the Traditional Council should have been joined and that the application amounted to an abuse of court process. Judge J Reddy rejected all five.

Judge accepted the affidavit explanation

One of the objections concerned a discrepancy in the founding affidavit. The affidavit recorded that it had been signed and sworn at Mogwase, while the commissioner’s stamp reflected a business address in Hatfield, Pretoria, about 157km away.

The residents argued that this created an inference that the affidavit had not been signed in the commissioner’s presence. The municipality explained that the commissioner, an admitted attorney and ex officio commissioner of oaths, had travelled to Mogwase to commission the affidavit.

Judge Reddy accepted the explanation, finding that the requirements governing commissioners of oaths had been substantially complied with. “The regulations exist to guard against the substantive mischief of an affidavit never truly sworn,” Judge Reddy held, “not to erect a procedural obstacle divorced from that purpose.”

The judge also rejected the argument that the discussions with traditional structures prevented the municipality from approaching the High Court.

Although Nakedi’s account of the 4 May meeting was accepted for purposes of the preliminary objection, Judge Reddy found that the engagement was voluntary and informal and contained no binding agreement suspending the court’s jurisdiction.

The municipality also succeeded in establishing urgency. It relied on accumulating contractual penalties and the potential impact of delays on future grant funding.

Judge Reddy accepted that those consequences could not necessarily be remedied by waiting for a hearing in the ordinary course. But that was as far as the municipality’s success went.

Municipality’s biggest problem was its own affidavit

Judge Reddy found that the municipality had failed to establish the primary facts needed to justify an interdict against the named residents. The problem was that the municipality repeatedly referred to “the group” and then attributed the alleged conduct to all seven respondents collectively.

The papers did not say which respondent had blocked a truck, who had offloaded the sand or who had demanded R200 000. Judge Reddy stressed that conclusions about unlawful or disruptive conduct cannot replace the underlying facts that establish who actually did what.

“A conclusion that ‘the respondents’ disrupted construction activities is not itself a primary fact,” the judge held. “It is a conclusion offered in place of the facts from which it might be drawn.”

The municipality’s account of the events of 18 June also contained a further difficulty. It alleged that access had been denied to trucks while also alleging that sand was offloaded from those trucks. Even where the municipality provided more detail, however, it still attributed the conduct to “the group” rather than identifying individual respondents.

Nakedi’s own evidence exposed the distinction. He denied the municipality’s allegations but admitted that he personally approached the excavator operators. Judge Reddy noted that this was a specific allegation concerning Nakedi, whereas the municipality had not made equivalent allegations identifying what any of the other respondents had personally done.

Failure to identify individual conduct defeated interdict

Judge Reddy found that the problem went to the foundation of the municipality’s case and was not merely a drafting defect. An interdict against named individuals requires a factual basis for restraining those particular people from particular conduct.

“If the papers do not show which respondent did what, no proper case has been made out for an interdict against any of them individually,” Judge Reddy held. The unidentified eighth respondent presented an additional problem because its alleged conduct depended on the allegations made against the first seven respondents.

Judge Reddy found that the description of the eighth respondent as a group of unknown people also lacked the certainty ordinarily required when final interdictory relief is sought. Because the municipality had failed to establish a cause of action against the respondents, the judge found it unnecessary to consider the remaining requirements for an interdict.

Municipality ordered to pay residents’ costs

The first seven respondents had lost all five preliminary objections, but they ultimately succeeded where it mattered.

Judge Reddy dismissed the municipality’s application and ordered it to pay the first seven respondents’ costs on the party-and-party scale.

Conviction.co.za

Get your news on the go. Click here to follow the Conviction WhatsApp channel.

Basic education Eastern Cape schools Legal Resources Centre Makhanda school funding
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Kennedy Mudzuli

Multiple award-winner with passion for news and training young journalists. Founder and editor of Conviction.co.za

Related Posts

Company loses R3.5 million claim after its own witness destroys the case

August 21, 2026

Former Tshwane councillor unlawfully authorised roadside businesses in Mamelodi

August 21, 2026

Metro Police cleared of blame for Hanover Park spaza shop fire that destroyed family’s home

August 20, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Prove your humanity: 3   +   10   =  

Subscribe to our newsletter:
Top Posts

Making sectional title rules that work: A practical guide

January 17, 2025

Protection order among the consequences of trespassing in an ‘Exclusive Use Area’

December 31, 2024

Between a rock and a foul-smelling place

November 27, 2024

Irregular levy increases, mismanagement, and legal threats in a sectional title scheme

June 2, 2025
Don't Miss
Sectional Title Law
4 Mins Read

How body corporate meetings are chaired and regulated in sectional title schemes

By Ashwini SinghAugust 21, 20264 Mins Read

A practical guide to the appointment, powers and legal duties of body corporate chairpersons, and the remedies available when meeting procedures are not followed.

Displaced Grade 12 learners face exam uncertainty amid ongoing xenophobic unrest

August 21, 2026

Company loses R3.5 million claim after its own witness destroys the case

August 21, 2026

High Court tells mother of twin sisters to ask judge to enforce school registration order

August 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
Demo
About Us
About Us

Helping South Africans to navigate the legal landscape; providing accessible legal information; and giving a voice to those seeking justice.

Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube WhatsApp Twitch RSS
Latest posts

Making sectional title rules that work: A practical guide

January 17, 2025

Protection order among the consequences of trespassing in an ‘Exclusive Use Area’

December 31, 2024

Between a rock and a foul-smelling place

November 27, 2024
OUR PICKS

Eskom ordered to tackle Kusile pollution with urgent 30-day environmental action plan

August 17, 2026

Pretoria court registrar who issued fraudulent court orders struck off legal roll

August 17, 2026

10 landmark Constitutional Court cases that changed South African law

August 16, 2026
© 2026 Conviction.
  • Home
  • Law & Justice
  • Special Reports
  • Opinion
  • Ask The Expert
  • Get In Touch

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by